A number of things have happened since my last post:
- I have played four more courses for the first time, bringing my total to 38 (20.5%).
- The weather in New Jersey has gotten significantly warmer.
- I have moved home base for my golfing operations… which is to say I’ve moved altogether.
Looking back on this quest and reflecting on my recent move, I realized this is the fourth location from which I’ve ventured to new golf courses. Raised in Bergen County, I moved to Middlesex County with my wife-to-be in 2006, then to Somerset County in 2009, and we now call Mercer County home. With all of the moves and different home bases in mind, and knowing that I still had a long way to go in terms of New Jersey courses left to play, I wanted to get a sense of how far I’ve already gone. How far have I actually driven to play these courses?
Gathering the data told me some noteworthy things about my golf timeline.
- While I first picked up a set of golf clubs sometime in the late 1990s, I didn’t play a regulation-length course in New Jersey until 8/13/2005.
- Between 2005 and 2010, I only played seven different NJ courses. That’s an average of about 259 days between each new course.
- After a hiatus from 2010 to 2013, I’ve played 31 additional courses. That’s an average of about 36 days between each new course.
- I found out about my golf quest on 10/15/2015. Since then, I have played 11 new courses, an average of about 18 days between each new course.
- To date, the furthest I’ve driven to a golf course (one-way) is 63.3 miles.
Taking a look at each course already checked off my list and factoring in when I first played them and where I had lived at the time, I was able to calculate that I have driven a total of 1,942.4 miles (round trip). To put that in context, here are the distances to different golf landmarks across the country from my current location in NJ:
- Augusta National, Augusta, GA: 735 miles
- TPC Sawgrass, Ponte Vedra Beach, FL: 914 miles
- Whistling Straits, Sheboygan, WI: 949 miles
- Chambers Bay, University Place, WA: 2,881 miles
- Pebble Beach, CA: 2,990 miles
How far have you driven?